15 June 2014 – issue 2
JOIN THE MARCH & COMEDY PICNIC ON SATURDAY 5 JULY
HANDS OFF HOVE PARK SCHOOL IS CALLING ON ALL SUPPORTERS TO JOIN WITH A MARCH AND FAMILY PICNIC IN HOVE ON 5TH JULY.
The plan is to meet at 10.30am on the lawns opposite the car-park of the King Alfred’s Leisure Centre. Everyone is welcome to join the march including students, families, teachers and anyone who supports and values a fair, equal, excellent comprehensive education in local schools for all the children in our communities. We are marching to say ‘NO’ to the academy proposal at Hove Park and NO to the continued and chaotic dismantling and deregulation of state schools. We are also marching to celebrate our local schools and help to protect the rights of hard-working, committed state-school teachers who put the education of children first.
STOP PRESS: Comedians Shappi Khorsandi and Mark Steel will join our family picnic from about 12.30pm for a STAND-UP FOR HOVE PARK SCHOOL comedy show in Hove Park. Caroline Lucas MP will also be speaking.
STOP PRESS AGAIN: We’ve received a very generous offer from Retune It to conduct an HOHPS marching band – bring your wheelie bins, metal buckets and pots & pans – and something to bash them with!
Let us know what you can bring to MAKE SOME NOISE. And arrive at 10.20am prompt for a rehearsal.
Don’t forget to bring bubbles, banners, badges and balloons too and add picnic food, friends and family for a great day out. The route for the march will go up Sackville Road and finish at Hove Park.
USE YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE AND MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD
PARENTS AGAINST ACADEMY STATUS TO STAND FOR PARENT GOVERNOR POSTS
A number of parents who support the Hands Off Hove Park (HOHPS) campaign have contacted us to say they intend to stand in the forthcoming elections for three new parent governors at the school. The vacancies only came to light after HOHPS campaigners discovered the school was planning to push ahead with massive decisions about the future direction of the school with 50% of representation of parents missing from the governing body. The school have now been directed to hold the elections before the academy vote by Brighton & Hove Director of Education and have sent out information asking for nominations for the vacant posts this week.
Look out for the candidates most likely to represent your views once the election begins in the couple of weeks, and do let us know if you support our campaign and intend to stand.
PARENT BALLOT COMING SOON – JUST SAY NO!
Brighton & Hove City Council will soon be sending out ballot forms for all current and future Year 7 parents to vote yes or no on whether they think Hove Park should become an academy. It is very important to use your vote so the school knows exactly how parents feel about this proposal .
If you or your friends are still undecided how to vote, please check our website for articles and debate around the issue – www.handsoffhoveparkschool.wordpress.com. We are also very happy to answer any individual questions and speak to parents who want to talk through the issues before they vote – just get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to use your vote for both the parent governors and the NO/YES vote on academy status.
WE NEED YOU!
WITH SO MUCH GOING ON, WE REALLY NEED YOUR HELP IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS – PLEASE GET INVOLVED IF YOU CAN
Here are some ways you can get involved:
• Be a ‘leafleting leader’ – organise a small group of people to leaflet a local school, church, mosque or other community venue or event
• Visit a street of shops/ cafés asking them to carry our leaflets/posters (some cafés have come to us asking for posters)
• Door-knock asking householders to carry our posters (this has worked well – check out Nevill Road)
• Learn and share the catchy, campaign song – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktlWD3XzV0
• Make a banner – some popular campaign slogans are ‘Hove Park Not Gove Park’ and ‘Academy? Just say NO’ – or make up your own
• Wear a badge and tell people about the campaign – new badges/slogans coming soon
• Sign up to our Facebook page & invite your friends to join www.facebook.com/handsoffhovepark
• Tell us about what you’re doing for the campaign and why you care on Twitter @notohpsacademy
• Write to the Argus saying why you’re joining the demo and why you’re saying ‘no’ in the ballot – Email: email@example.com
• Do you have access to a small outdoor PA that you could lend for our comedy show?
• Do you have a large gazebo/ small marquee for the comedy show?
HOHPS’S LATEST LEAFLETS, POSTERS AND BADGES CAN BE PICKED UP 24/7 – let us know what you need by email and we’ll tell you where to pick them up or may be able to deliver to you
Got a story for Hands Off News? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org